2020 Impact By the Numbers
Animals Spared with Investigations
Animals Impacted by Corporate Work
Animals Spared With In-Ovo Sexing Technology
Corporate Policy Commitments
Animals Impacted Through Legal Initiatives
Exposing Cruelty Through Investigations
Animal Equality released 13 investigations, exposing cruelty to animals used for meat in wet markets, during transport, and on factory farms worldwide.
Animal Equality convinced 40 companies worldwide to adopt animal protection policies that will reduce the suffering of more than 300 million hens and chickens used for eggs and meat each year.
- After four years of campaigning and negotiations, South America’s biggest grocery chain, GPA, has finally committed to going 100% cage-free in Brazil by 2028.
- Assoavi, the trade association that represents 70% of egg producers in Italy, committed to adopt in-ovo sexing technologies, sparing the lives of 25 million chicks a year. This groundbreaking commitment works to eliminate the routine mass culling of unprofitable male chicks in the egg industry.
- Our sister organization, Alianza Alimentaria, secured a commitment with Zero Wellness & Food Services. Alianza Alimentaria works with public and private institutions in Mexico to meet government-imposed social responsibility requirements through committing to a percentage reduction in animal products served at their dining facilities.
Animal Equality engaged in proactive legal initiatives, ensuring animals receive the legal protections they deserve.
- Animal Equality participated in seven ongoing lawsuits, including a constitutional challenge to Arkansas’ Ag-Gag law and two deceptive advertising lawsuits with some of the largest meat producers in the U.S.
- We worked to get a new animal protection regulation approved by the government council of Zapopan, Mexico, which establishes protections for farmed animals and criminalizes farmed animal cruelty.
- Naucalpan made history as the first city in Mexico to add cameras inside slaughterhouses. This new set of regulations includes reforms recommended by Animal Equality Mexico and establishes protections for all species of animals— including farmed animals — and criminalizes cruelty against them. Failure to stun these animals prior to slaughter, as well as any mutilation or veterinary negligence, will now be punishable by law.
- Animal Equality joined the Aquatic Animal Alliance to improve the fish welfare standards in various seafood certification programs. We are also working with a state aquaculture industry trade group in an attempt to collaborate on fish welfare legislation.
Our outreach team employed creative and innovative ways to encourage people all around the world to leave animals off their plate and replace it with delicious plant-based foods.
POTENTIAL MEDIA REACH
LOVE VEG SUBSCRIBERS
Media & Events
- Joaquin Phoenix, animal advocate and award-winning actor, joined Animal Equality in a surprise protest against factory farming. Alongside Animal Equality activists and staff, Joaquin dropped a 390 square-foot banner from the Tower Bridge in London that read “Factory farming is destroying our planet. Go vegan.” as a plea to the public to break its dependence on animal products.
- Our work was featured in 2,679 media outlets around the world, including BBC News, Público, The Mirror, The Independent, and Business Insider.
We can’t do this alone.
JOIN THE ANIMAL ALLIES!
We need your support more than ever. Please join Animal Equality’s Animal Allies for as little as $5 a month and help animals throughout the year.
Signing up is easy and takes just a few minutes. You can donate securely by credit card or eCheck, which automatically processes your gift directly from your bank account each month.