ALL DONATIONS MATCHED THROUGH JUNE 30! Give now
News
Get the latest news and updates from Animal Equality

Foie gras: Brutal Scenes of Animal Suffering Linked to European Retailers

December 27, 2012

Animal Equality launched its latest investigation into the foie gras industry. ‘Caracierzos’, which is the second largest producer and distributor of foie gras in Spain, is revealed to supply European retailers. Footage obtained by the organization show scenes of animal suffering. This is the fourth investigation Animal Equality has presented during 2012 exposing the foie gras industry, in France and Spain.

Farms investigated belong to the company ‘Caracierzos SL’, located in Teruel province of Spain. Caracierzos SL supplies Collverd and Martiko.

Collverd


Collverd commercializes foie gras on a national scale in shops and restaurants. The company also exports to France, Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Mexico, Peru, Colombia and China. The Director of Collverd is Jordi Terol, who is also Vice-President of Eurofoiegras (the European Committee for the foie gras industry).

Martiko


Over 70% of the foie gras sold in Spain comes from Martiko. 80% of Martiko’s foie gras production is distributed and commercialized in large supermarkets and restaurants. Martiko exports the remaining 20% of its foie gras to the United Kingdom, France, India, China, Japan, and South America.

At the farm, the Animal Equality Investigation Team found:

• Ducks with broken and torn beaks that were covered in blood.
• Scenes of indifference by farmers towards suffering animals.
• Injured, sick, and traumatized ducks.
• Ducks in cages with stereotypic behavior, such as head shaking and stereotypic feather preening which is a possible sign of stress.
• Ducks with breathing difficulties.
• Ducks with apparent congenital eye disorders and acquired eye malformations.

Animal Equality also highlights that Health and Consumer Affairs Department initiated two weeks ago, disciplinary proceedings against Mugala Innova SL, owner of Mugaritz – considered to be the third best restaurant in the world – and also against Olga Posse Oliveira, owner of the duck breeding farm, which has been closed, located in Momotegi Oiartzun (Basque Country). This farm supplies foie gras to a restaurant managed by chef, Andoni Luis Aduriz, who is considered to be the best chef in the world.

These disciplinary proceedings follow other successes in Animal Equality’s campaign against the foie gras industry. The COOP in Italy – one of the largest chains of supermarkets – with over 1,470 outlets, agreed to end the sale of foie gras in October following the investigation. In addition, eight MEPs held a conference in Brussels calling for a ban on foie gras, referencing the Animal Equality investigation and petition.


Animal Equality is urging the European Commission to prohibit foie gras production across the entire of the EU. Bans are already in place in Argentina, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Turkey, United Kingdom and, most recently, in California (United States).

Animal Equality is committed to ending foie gras everywhere. You can support a ban on foie gras in the United States by signing our petition.


Related content

Spain

Latest News

June 28, 2022

In Brazil, legislation aimed at reducing government oversight inside slaughterhouses has been introduced by the Brazillian Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock. This initiative, also known as the “Self-Control” bill, will give slaughterhouses the power to conduct their own inspections. On June 23, Brazil Senators gave their vote of approval for…
June 22, 2022

Widely known for playing Professor Sprout in “Harry Potter,” British-Australian actress Miriam Margolyes has been on a “journey of discovery” after learning about the abuses of farmed animals. She is now using her platform to raise awareness about calf-cow separation in the dairy industry by sharing an important message with…
June 10, 2022

Hidalgo becomes the first state in Mexico to protect farmed animals in a law promoted by Animal Equality.