INTERNATIONAL DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
Animal Equality is an international animal protection organization that works with society, governments, and companies to end cruelty to farmed animals. Our vision is a world where all animals are respected and protected.
Terms of Employment: Full-time, At-Will, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Vice President and Vice President
Position Location: Los Angeles, CA preferred; will consider US-based remote applicants
The International Director of Communications takes ownership and leads all aspects of Animal Equality’s external communication. The International Director of Communication builds departmental excellence ensuring organizational reputation, developing and collaborating on the creation of successful and innovative marketing strategies for Animal Equality’s global campaigns.
- Develop and oversee the implementation and maintenance of the organization’s international communication strategy and narrative framework to build corporate, political and societal influence working across the organization and partnering with multiple departments.
- Ensure Animal Equality’s communications across all channels are aligned with the organization’s strategy plan and consistent to build Animal Equality’s brand.
- Strategically align the development of Animal Equality’s printed and online materials with the organization’s overall fundraising, digital and communications strategy.
- Work alongside all relevant Directors to hire and manage the required staff to accomplish the organization’s objectives through effective communications.
- Represent the organization at key events, both internally and externally, serving as one of Animal Equality’s primary storytellers.
- Manage organizational risks in the communications realm — including, but not limited to, hiring crisis communications experts when required, training staff on media interactions and social media expectations, developing and implementing approval processes and weighing in on organizational decisions that may impact communications.
- Stay current on the state of animal protection issues, daily monitoring the news and developments to identify opportunities.
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- High level of integrity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- A commitment to excellence and a demonstrated growth mindset.
- In-depth knowledge of communication strategies, demonstrated experience having developed communications strategies and tactics in the past.
- Managerial experience, including experience to build and mentor a team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture strong professional relationships across the organization and with all levels of management as well as with external stakeholders.
- 5 years minimum experience in a similar role.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- In-depth knowledge of media communications and demonstrated ability to develop relationships with journalists.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of communications trends as well as in-depth knowledge of social media, online communications.
- Strong technical abilities, and strong knowledge of CRMs, Asana, and email broadcasting tools.
- Fully adhere to and embrace Animal Equality’s leadership traits.
Expected outcomes for the first year:
- Analyze Animal Equality’s communication across departments, countries, and platforms identifying strengths and areas for improvement.
- Develop and implement a robust communications strategy plan for Animal Equality that includes goals, tools and specific measurable outcomes that caters to specific communication strategies for Animal Equality’s different departments and countries.
- Co-Develop the UVP for Animal Equality
- Align media communication internationally by adjusting messaging and narratives with the organization’s strategy plan and increasing media coverage
Objectives and measurement:
- Review and improve Animal Equality’s communication metrics and ensure decisions are made based on improvements identified
Management and mentorship:
- Mentor communications team internationally providing leadership and developing plans for areas for improvement for each team member
Compensation: $70,000-75,000, based on experience.
Animal Equality is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or another non-merit factor.
Please Note: We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.
Application Period: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.