Associate Legal Advocacy Counsel
Terms of Employment: Full-time, Exempt, At-will
Reports to: Legal Advocacy Counsel
To support Animal Equality’s Legal Advocacy Department in various proactive legal initiatives, including public policy and regulatory affairs, as well as to provide assistance with other legal matters as directed by the Legal Advocacy Counsel.
- Assist in developing and managing Animal Equality’s federal, state, and local farmed animal policy initiatives, including legislative and regulatory policy reforms.
- Develop and manage legal campaign actions, volunteer outreach, and other public policy-related programs at the local, state, and federal level.
- Represent Animal Equality in its relationships with lawmakers, agency staff, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Provide legal research and drafting support for Animal Equality’s litigation work.
- Support the investigations team with legal research.
- Collaborate with other departments as required.
- Assist in drafting and revising public-facing documents, including policy statements and whitepapers.
- Extensively research and strategize unique legal opportunities as required by the Legal Advocacy Counsel to benefit farmed animals for approval of the Legal Advocacy Counsel and President.
- Represent Animal Equality in meetings with coalition partners, policymakers, grassroots activists, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Work and liaise with other Animal Equality departments on public policy matters as they arise.
- Assist in preparing and managing internal forms, documents, and presentations on behalf of the Legal Advocacy Department.
- Track and report lobbying hours in adherence with IRS and state/local rules; register as a lobbyist and attend trainings as required.
- Perform any other duties as assigned
- Follow all human resource and operational policies and procedures
- A commitment to Animal Equality’s vision, mission, strategy and culture.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in at least one US state
- 2+ years of experience with lobbying and public policy work
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and a high degree of professional ethics and discretion
- Proficiency in legal research database operations
- Strong negotiating skills
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Detail-oriented with an exceptional level of organization and efficiency
- Superior interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Initiative, resourcefulness, adaptability, and strong work ethic
- Flexibility and comfort managing simultaneous projects, working within time constraints, and meeting deadlines without sacrificing accuracy
- Ability to anticipate a project’s needs and the needs of the Legal Advocacy Department
- Working knowledge of farmed-animal issues strongly preferred
- Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly Word, Excel, and PPT) and Google Suite (particularly Docs and Sheets)
- Experience with or comfort learning technological platforms such as Zoom and Asana
Salary and Benefits:
$60,000–65,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes 100% employer-covered health, dental, vision, paid child care leave, a generous vacation package, paid sick time, 1 paid volunteer day per year, 2 floating holidays, and 401(k) with partial employer match.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Animal Equality is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis.