Effective Date: February 20, 2020
Information Collected From You
We collect and maintain personal information that you, our donors, provide to us when you:
- Contact us by phone, mail, or email, in person, or via our website(s);
- Register for an event;
- Make a contribution, either on our website, at a special event, over the phone, or by mailing in a check;
- Fill out a feedback survey, which may include providing us with your phone number; and
- Navigate through our website.
From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in ways not described above, subject to your express approval.
Types of Information
Animal Equality collects and maintains the following types of information about our donors:
- Personal information, including:
- Contact information, such as name, address, email, and telephone number.
- Giving information, including types and amounts of donations and credit card information. We utilize secure transaction methods when collecting credit card information over the internet. We never disclose credit card account information provided by our donors, except for the proper processing of donations.
- Information on events attended and publications received.
- Publicly-available donor information obtained from third-party sources.
- Any other information provided by you to Animal Equality, such as public comments or posts on our social media or website.
- Non-personal information that does not personally identify you, including information that is anonymized, aggregated, or publicly available when not combined with non-publicly available information about you.
Animal Equality values protecting the privacy of our donors. As such, we are committed to maintaining the confidentiality of all personal donor information.
All information about any financial and non-financial transactions between you and Animal Equality is considered highly confidential, and we employ appropriate security measures designed to protect it.
While the information is kept confidential, it is shared with Animal Equality’s board members, relevant staff, and specific professionals on a need-to-know basis and in compliance with all laws, regulations, court orders, or other governmental requests.
Use of Personal Information
Animal Equality collects and maintains personal information to:
- Establish a relationship and communicate with you about our organization, including our programs, special events, and funding needs;
- Learn about our donors and what matters to you;
- Process donations and event registrations and issue tax receipts;
- Comply with all laws and regulations, including reporting requirements;
- Plan future fundraising activities and events;
- Analyze giving patterns; and
- Solicit feedback from you by conducting surveys.
We use industry-standard safeguards to protect your personal information against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction.
We may share your information with trusted third-party service providers, such as those that assist in our fundraising efforts, but you may request that your information not be shared at any time. We honor all requests you make regarding your personal information.
Animal Equality will, from time to time, communicate with you, including by telephone, text, email, and mail, concerning our charitable activities, events, and requests for future support. We will not call or email you or send mailings to you on behalf of other organizations. To opt-out of receiving Animal Equality communications you previously opted into, you may contact us as described in the “Contact Us” section below or by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link.
Records Retention and Destruction
We comply with all Internal Revenue Service, state, and local regulations, as well as our internal policies governing the retention, management, and destruction of donor information that we collect and maintain.
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information
You can review and request changes to the personal information that Animal Equality has collected about you by contacting us as described in the “Contact Us” section below. However, please be aware that we may not accommodate a change request that would impact record retention or other operational requirements, violate any law or legal requirement, or cause the information to be incorrect.
Changes to the Policy
This Policy is current as of the date stated at the top of this Policy. We reserve the right to amend this Policy from time to time. We will notify you of any material changes to the Policy by email and through a notice on our website. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically visiting our website to check for any changes.
Donor Bill of Rights
Animal Equality subscribes to the Donor Bill of Rights as created by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Associations for Healthcare Philanthropy, the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, and the Giving Institute. A copy of the Donor Bill of Rights may be accessed here.
To opt-out of receiving communications from Animal Equality, to review the personal information we have collected about you, or to ask any other questions regarding this Policy, please contact Animal Equality at the below address or email, or submit your request via the contact form on our website:
8581 Santa Monica Blvd, #350
Los Angeles, CA 90069