Terms of Employment: Full-time, At-Will, Exempt
Reports to: President and Vice President
Location: Los Angeles, CA (will consider remote)
Reporting to the President and Executive Vice President, the General Counsel is responsible for ensuring that Animal Equality operates within all applicable state and federal laws, focusing on the US operations. Areas of practice include employment, contracts, not-for-profit corporations, governance, compliance, litigation, risk management, intellectual property, real property, and charitable giving.
- Manage Animal Equality’s in house legal team
- Advise management with respect to legal issues related to the development and implementation of Animal Equality’s business strategy, governance and compliance policies, exempt organization laws, state and federal tax and corporate filings, conflict of interest policies, corporate structure and organizing documents
- Ensure Animal Equality is in compliance with all pertinent laws, regulations, and legal issues related to domestic and international investigations
- Oversee and advise on matters of corporate governance, finance, contracts, insurance, risk management, real estate, and employment matters
- Review, update and assure compliance with corporate documents and other management policies and practices as needed.
- Oversee and monitor any litigation, including responding to subpoenas and working with outside counsel
- Oversee the prosecutions of cases based on Animal Equality’s investigations
- Negotiate, review, edit and prepare legal documents, opinions, and advice on corporate transactions, contracts and agreements to which Animal Equality is a party
- Assure that Animal Equality’s copyrights, trademarks and intellectual property are protected
- Assure that Animal Equality is in compliance with the various laws governing charitable solicitations, planned giving, restricted gifts, in-kind gifts, grants, raffles, corporate contributions, and other fundraising matters; oversee probate of estates in which Animal Equality is a beneficiary
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that impact governance and animals
- Assist the Development Department with major donor development and other fundraising activities, as needed
- Oversee and develop relationships with pro bono attorneys
- Juris Doctorate is required
- Minimum of 7 years of legal experience as a licensed attorney with admission to the State Bar in at least one state. Prior General Counsel experience strongly preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and objectives of Animal Equality
- Knowledge of animal law
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigation, labor law, etc.)
- In depth understanding of how legal issues affect non-profit organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Strong legal, analytical, administrative, and written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and international team
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work internationally, across departments and offices, partnering closely with multiple stakeholders
- Some travel is required
- Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
- Advanced Spanish, verbal and written (preferred, not required)
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 401(k)
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Animal Equality is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please Note: We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.