Terms of Employment: Full-time, Exempt, At-will
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Location: Los Angeles, CA or Remote
To advise and support Animal Equality’s Legal Department in legal and compliance matters, as well as to provide assistance with any other legal matters needed by the organization.
- Oversight and management of corporate governance and compliance matters
- Work and liaise with other Animal Equality departments on legal matters as they arise
- Research and anticipate unique legal matters that could affect the organization
- Review and revise public-facing documents for legal compliance
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts and agreements on behalf of the organization
- Oversee communications with outside counsel and other relevant department contacts
- Assist in managing Legal Department reporting and metrics
- Assist in the maintenance of Legal Department electronic filing systems and databases
- Assist in the maintenance of spreadsheets and calendars relating to corporate legal, compliance, and operations matters for each Animal Equality entity and oversee such requirements in various jurisdictions
- Assist in preparing and managing internal forms, documents, and presentations on behalf of the Legal Department
- Assist in managing all other non-profit, corporate governance, and legal matters related to Animal Equality’s programmatic activities
- Perform any other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in at least one US state
- 2+ years of experience in a law firm or corporate legal setting
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and a high degree of professional ethics and discretion
- Proficiency in legal research database operations
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Detail-oriented with an exceptional level of organization and efficiency
- Superior interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Initiative, resourcefulness, adaptability, and strong work ethic
- Flexibility and comfort managing simultaneous projects, working within time constraints, and meeting deadlines without sacrificing accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Experience with or comfort learning technological platforms such as Zoom and Asana
- Working knowledge of farmed-animal issues preferred
- Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, paid childcare leave, and 401(k).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Animal Equality is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please Note: We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.